Ca. 52 leaves. 8vo (leaves of various sizes but averaging 285 x 203 mm.), written on paper with pre-printed columns, stitched together. Osaka: 1872-75.
The Osaka Medical School, today part of Osaka University and one of the finest medical schools in Japan, traces its origins and traditions to the Tekijuku, an academy founded by Koan Ogata (1810-63), which based its teaching on Western learning, mostly from the Dutch. The newly created Meiji government established the Osaka Medical School in 1869, with the help of Ogata’s son Koreyoshi and the Dutch doctor Antonius Franciscus Bauduin (1822-85). This was part of the massive effort in Japan to modernize. The “Fundamental Code of Education,” promulgated in 1872, established a centralized national educational system which concentrated on Western science and technology.
These manuscripts document the transformation of the medical school into a national institution. Details regarding rules for employees, contracts for foreign employees (including salaries), housing, matters of finance, terms of severance, standards regarding the making of pharmaceutical products, lists of foreign employees, correspondence with government officials, etc.
In fine condition. With the seal of the Shinto priest and physician Yasuaki (or Kosho) Nakano (1874-1947), and his private library, Daido Yakushitsu. He was a major collector of kanpo (the Japanese study of traditional Chinese medicine), calligraphy, maps, illustrated scrolls, waka poetry, and paintings.
Item ID: 8335