2 p.l., [v]-xxiv, 1 leaf, 390,  pp. 8vo, cont. polished half-calf & boards (two corners a bit worn, some foxing), flat spine gilt, red & green leather lettering pieces on spine. Berlin: J.F. Unger, 1794.
The very rare second edition (rarer than the first edition of 1784), enlarged; this celebrated collection became the nucleus of the Spencer library. The catalogue has been printed on fine wove paper with the beautiful types of Germany’s foremost type founder-printer of the period, J.F. Unger.
“In 1790 [Earl Spencer] succeeded in purchasing from the aged owner the extremely choice collection of first editions of the classics formed by Count Reviczky, the Emperor’s ambassador to the English court. Reviczky’s books, of which he had himself printed a catalogue, were all in very fine condition and contained some of the most desirable items from the La Vallière sale (Paris: 1784). This was the real nucleus of the Spencer library.”–De Ricci, p. 73.
This edition contains an index for the first time. Bookplates of Wilfred Merton and A.R.A. Hobson.
❧ Peignot, pp. 193-94–“On en a donné à Berlin, en 1794, une nouvelle édition…avec les augmentations faites successivement à la première; elle est bien exécutée, et peut très bien tenir lieu de l’édition originale.” Taylor, Book Catalogues, pp. 58, 135, 227, & 257-58.
Item ID: 5013